Kylie Jenner’s rise to fame: A look at her journey to becoming a billionaire
Kylie Jenner, the youngest member of the Kardashian-Jenner clan, is one of the most talked-about and influential celebrities in the world. She rose to fame at a young age thanks to her appearances on the reality TV show, Keeping Up With The Kardashians. However, it wasn’t just her famous family that made her a household name. She also built a successful career as a makeup mogul, launching her brand, Kylie Cosmetics, in 2015.
In 2018, Forbes named Kylie Jenner the youngest self-made billionaire ever, with a net worth of $900 million. Despite controversy surrounding her self-made title, there’s no denying that Jenner’s rise to fame and fortune has been remarkable. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at her journey and the factors that contributed to her success.
Early Life and Career
Kylie Jenner was born on August 10, 1997, in Los Angeles, California. She grew up in a wealthy family, with her mother, Kris Jenner, managing the careers of her siblings, including her half-sisters Kim, Kourtney, and Khloé Kardashian. Kylie began appearing on Keeping Up With The Kardashians at the age of 10, and quickly became a fan favorite.
Jenner began to gain attention for her fashion sense and beauty looks. She started experimenting with makeup and became known for her signature full lips. However, it wasn’t until 2015 that Jenner decided to turn her passion for beauty into a business.
In November 2015, Jenner launched Kylie Lip Kits, which included a liquid lipstick and matching lip liner. The launch was a massive success, with the initial inventory selling out within minutes. This success led to the creation of Kylie Cosmetics, which expanded to include a variety of makeup products.
Jenner’s social media presence played a significant role in the success of Kylie Cosmetics. She has millions of followers on Instagram and Snapchat, and often shares photos and videos of herself wearing her products. This created a sense of FOMO (fear of missing out) among her fans, who rushed to purchase her products.
Her social media presence, Jenner also collaborated with other celebrities and brands to promote her products. For example, in 2017, she collaborated with her sister Kim Kardashian on a makeup line called KKW x Kylie, which sold out within hours.
Controversy Surrounding “Self-Made” Title
In 2018, Forbes named Kylie Jenner the youngest self-made billionaire ever. However, this title was met with criticism and controversy. Many argued that Jenner’s success was due to her family’s wealth and fame, rather than her own merit.
Despite the backlash, Jenner defended her self-made title in an interview with Forbes, stating that she used her own money to start her business and that her success was due to hard work and dedication. She also acknowledged the privilege and opportunities that came with being part of a wealthy family, but argued that she had to work hard to turn her passion into a successful business.
Regardless of the controversy, there’s no denying that Jenner’s success is impressive. She built a billion-dollar empire in just a few years, and her brand shows no signs of slowing down.
Factors Contributing to Success
So, what factors contributed to Kylie Jenner’s success? Here are a few key factors:
- Social media presence: Jenner’s massive following on social media played a significant role in the success of Kylie Cosmetics. She used her platforms to promote her products and connect with her fans.
- Celebrity collaborations: Jenner’s collaborations with other celebrities and brands helped to promote her products and reach a wider audience. Her collaboration with her sister Kim Kardashian on the KKW x Kylie line was a huge success, and she has also worked with brands such as Puma and Adidas.
- Brand identity: Kylie Cosmetics has a distinct brand identity, with sleek packaging and a focus on bold and trendy makeup looks. This helped to differentiate the brand from other makeup companies and appeal to a younger demographic.
- Limited edition releases: Jenner’s limited edition makeup releases created a sense of urgency among her fans, who didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own a rare product. This helped to drive sales and create hype around the brand.
- Business acumen: Despite her young age, Jenner has proven to be a savvy businesswoman. She has made smart decisions when it comes to product development, marketing, and collaborations, and has been able to grow her business quickly
Impact on the Beauty Industry
Kylie Jenner’s success with Kylie Cosmetics has had a significant impact on the beauty industry. Her focus on bold and trendy makeup looks has influenced beauty trends, and her limited edition releases have created a sense of urgency among consumers. Additionally, her success has shown the power of social media in driving sales and building a brand.
Many other celebrities have followed in Jenner’s footsteps and launched their own beauty brands, including Rihanna with Fenty Beauty and Lady Gaga with Haus Laboratories. This has created increased competition in the market, but also opened up new opportunities for entrepreneurs.
Jenner’s success has also highlighted the importance of inclusivity in the beauty industry. Kylie Cosmetics offers a wide range of shades and caters to a diverse audience, which has helped to make the brand more accessible and appealing to a wider range of consumers.
Criticism and Controversy
Despite her success, Kylie Jenner has faced criticism and controversy throughout her career. In addition to the backlash surrounding her self-made title, she has also been criticized for cultural appropriation and for promoting unrealistic beauty standards.
In 2017, Jenner faced backlash for a photoshoot in which she wore her hair in cornrows, a hairstyle traditionally worn by Black women. Many accused her of cultural appropriation and insensitivity.