Photo Credit score: Neil Tag Thomas
Reykjavik revels in darkness for the Forty third annual Dark Music Days pageant, held this year between January 24-28.
It’s the darkest time of year in Iceland’s capital, lending a ideal time to rejoice the native sounds of the island, as neatly as international musicians who score traveled to serenade the land of ice and fire.
The pageant’s main focal point is exclusive Icelandic works, nonetheless the Dark Music Days pageant items both Icelandic and international as a lot as date music in the eminent Harpa Dwell efficiency Hall and quite a few essential venues around Reykjavik. One of the main highlights for 2024 encompass Gyða Valtýsdóttir, Ragga Gísla, GROWL POWER – The music of Bára Gísladóttir, Cantoque Ensemble´s portrayal of Thorkell Sigurbjörnsson thru his choral works, and Iceland Symphony Orchestra’s premiere of The Wanderer Symphony.
The Dark Music Days 2024 pageant will feature over 20 occasions on its program this year, web hosting essential Icelandic composers and artists, as neatly as international guests who’re excited to provide and ride quite a few world-class performances.
The pageant is held by the Icelandic Composers Society in collaboration with Iceland Music, Reykjavik Music Metropolis, and Harpa Dwell efficiency Hall with generous attend by the Icelandic Nationwide Music Fund.
Dark Music Days 2024 Performances
- Stirni Ensemble performs works by Kolbeinn Bjarnason, among others.
- Lunacy: A Joyous Play | Opera by Guðmundur Steinn Gunnarsson
- Growl Strength | Björg Brjánsdóttir flutist performs 4 solo items for flutes by Bára Gísladóttir
- Algerving | Multimedia installation by Atli Ingólfsson
- Glerhúsið | Exhibition
- Sinfóníuhljómsveit Íslands | Works by Bergrún Snæbjörnsdóttir, Þuríður Jónsdóttir, Finnur Karlsson and Icelandic Bask in Cooperation: Eirún Sigurðardóttir and Jóní Jónsdóttir with Ólafur Björn Ólafsson and Una Sveinbjarnardóttir
- untitled | Ensemble Adapter performs Davíð Brynjar Fransson
- No extra no less | EKKI MINNA perfroms works by Franz Schubert, Christian Winther Christensen, Mads Emil Dreyer, Johannes Kreidler, Áslaugu Magnúsdóttir & Mia Ghabarou
- Skerpla | Music by Pauline Oliveros
- Ragga Gísla X Cauda Collective | Cauda Performs Works by Ragnhildur Gísladóttir
- Caput | Caput performs works by Hafdís Bjarnadóttir, Páll Ragnar Pálsson, Úlfur Eldjárn, Þorkell Nordal and Cameron Anderton
- Soundbath | Soundbath for households
- MíT | Works by Björk and María Huld Markan Sigfúsdóttir
- R * O * R | Gyða Valtýsdóttir and Úlfur Hansson
- S.L.Á.T.U.R. | S.L.Á.T.U.R. performs works by S.L.Á.T.U.R.
- Fidelio Trio | Works by Ailís Ní Ríain,Simon Mawhinney, Anna Clyne, Hafliði Hallgrímsson, Lilja María Ásmundsdóttir Claudia Molitor and Una Sveinbjarnardóttir
- Kammersveit Reykjavíkur | Works by Karólína Eiríksdóttir, Finnur Karlsson, Áskell Másson and Kaija Sarriaho
- Pauline Oliveros | Conference in cooperation with Iceland College of the Arts
- Contemporary Piano Currents | Works for piano and electronics by Kolbeinn Bjarnason, Olga Neuwirth, Oliver Sascha Frick, Kaija Saariaho and Yamamoto/Frick
- Cantoque sings Thorkell | Cantoque Ensemble performs choir works by Þorkell Sigurbjörnsson. Conducter: Steinar Lgi Helgason
- Lunacy: a Joyous Play | Opera by Guðmundur Steinn Gunnarsson