Family Sues Airbnb, Property Proprietor After Toddler Dies of Fentanyl Overdose on Vacation
The family of a 19-month-dilapidated girl who died from obvious exposure to fentanyl whereas staying at an Airbnb condo in 2021 is opening up about their memoir.
Enora Lavenir’s family is now suing the firm, the property proprietor, the condo’s supervisor, and a renter who had hosted a occasion in the Wellington, Fla. unit two weeks sooner than the girl’s loss of life, per a brand novel document from the Washington Put up.
No prison costs hang been introduced, and investigators hang been unable to procure evidence of the drug in the tear condo, essentially based mostly mostly on the Put up.
By no draw miss a memoir — join PEOPLE’s free every single day newsletter to hang up-to-date on the absolute best of what PEOPLE has to give, from juicy celeb data to compelling human passion reports.
In August 2021, Enora became as soon as learned tiring in the home by her mother Lydie. Because the family recalled, her face became as soon as blue with white foam popping out from her lips.
A Palm Seaside County medical examiner and an impartial toxicology document in the atomize learned that the shrimp one had died of a lethal amount of fentanyl, per the Put up.
“It be like we fell into a entice,” Boris, the girl’s father, told the newsletter in French.
A Fentanyl Citrate vial on a green background.
Investigators hang been unable to procure medication in Enora’s family’s assets, and each oldsters examined negative, with no one radiant how the toddler bought encourage of the drug, experiences the Put up.
A outdated renter — who booked the dwelling thru the condo firm Vrbo — reportedly told investigators that they threw a occasion on the positioning that alive to cocaine, but the medication weren’t tied to the girl.
Within the atomize, investigators wrote that they hang been “unable to uncover” how she ingested the drug.
“I’m unable to draw doable cause for abuse or neglect resulting in the loss of life of Enora,” one investigator infamous. “At reward the plot in which of loss of life is listed as unintended.”
Whereas the case is closed pending leads, the family is suing Airbnb and these in the again of the dwelling condo — claiming that the lethal drug became as soon as no longer neatly picked up following a occasion in the home sooner than their hang via Airbnb.
Representatives for Vrbo — the tear condo firm which the outdated renter booked the dwelling thru — didn’t straight acknowledge to PEOPLE’s quiz for comment.
When requested for comment from Airbnb, a advisor pointed PEOPLE to a statement they shared with the Put up: “Our hearts perambulate out to the Lavenir family and their members of the family for their devastating loss.”
Thomas Scolaro, the licensed professional representing the family, told the Put up that finding the source of the medication is his high precedence, and that the “simplest thing we now hang right here is neatly-liked-sense.”
“It became as soon as positively in that unit, that Airbnb,” he added. “Which tell individual left the medication is frankly nothing I’m searching to display conceal. What I are searching to uncover is Airbnb equipped no cleanup, no warning, no measure of security for the family.”
Lars Noah, a law professor on the University of Florida, told the outlet that “where that fentanyl comes from, linking it to this tell community, that correct sounds monstrously sophisticated below these conditions.”
To resolve how the shrimp one died, investigators reviewed Enora’s medical history, checked her body for bruising, examined her toddler bottle for the drug and spoke with neighbors of the say.
Reaching out to three of us that rented the dwelling sooner than the family came in, investigators hang been told by one that cocaine became as soon as dilapidated on a kitchen counter at a occasion, but didn’t hang the fentanyl.
“What is bolt is, Enora had contact with fentanyl in the Airbnb,” Boris talked about.